5 of the Best Real Estate Books Beginners Should Read Before Starting in Real Estate: Getting started with any new skill can be challenging. The trick to doing well with it is education. Here is my list of the top 5 best real estate books beginners should read before they get started in the world of real estate investment. I’ve used each of these books as I’ve started and continue to work in my investing career and found them amazingly useful. If you or anyone you know is considering getting into real estate investing, I highly recommend you check out the following books:
1. The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner
I first purchased this book when I was getting interested in real estate investing back in 2016. I had started to listen to the Biggerpockets podcast and this book was mentioned a few times. After buying it and reading it, I can see why. There is a wealth of knowledge backed into this easy to read book. The writer, Brandon Turner has been a very successful real estate investor for the last 10+ years. Starting from humble beginnings, he shows the beginning steps that need to be taken in order to start your investing journey as well!
- A great guide to the main concepts and ideas of real estate investment
- Outlines time proven strategies to begin investing
- Great tips on how to find real estate deals, including the criteria to follow
- Introduces creative financing ideas that show interesting ways to get started.
“In The Book on Rental Property Investing, real estate investor and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast Brandon Turner has one goal in mind: to give you every strategy, tool, tip, and technique needed to become a millionaire rental property investor―while helping you avoid the junk that pulls down so many wannabes!
Written for both new and experienced investors, this book will impart years of experience through the informative and entertaining lessons contained within. You’ll find practical, up-to-date, exciting strategies that investors across the world are using to build wealth and significant cash flow through rental properties.
Inside, you’ll discover:
• Why many real estate investors fail, and how you can ensure you don’t!
• 4 unique, easy-to-follow strategies you can begin implementing today.
• Creative tips for finding incredible deals―even in competitive markets.
• How to achieve success without touching a toilet, paintbrush, or broom.
• Actionable ideas for financing rentals, no matter how much cash you have.
• Advice on keeping your wealth by deferring (and eliminating) taxes.
• And so much more!”
2. The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller
For those of you who did make the connection, Gary Keller is one of the founding members of Keller Williams, one of the most successful real estate agencies in the United States. My own agent works for Keller Williams and can attest to the high quality education they provide their agents.
This book is no exception! It introduces higher level concepts such as how to develop your own business team, dispelling myths about money, identifying opportunities, understanding the key points of a real estate transaction and much more. I really enjoyed this book once I learned some of the basics behind real estate investment and wanted to branch out to understand much more. Another great read!
“This book is not just a bargain, it’s a steal. It’s filled with practical, workable advice for anyone wanting to build wealth.”―Mike Summey, co-author of the bestselling The Weekend Millionaire’s Secrets to Investing in Real Estate
Anyone who seeks financial wealth must first learn the fundamental truths and models that drive it. The Millionaire Real Estate Investor represents the collected wisdom and experience of over 100 millionaire investors from all walks of life who pursued financial wealth and achieved the life-changing freedom it delivers. This book–in straightforward, no nonsense, easy-to-read style–reveals their proven strategies.
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor is your handbook to the tried and true financial wealth building vehicle that rewards patience and perseverance and is available to all–real estate. You’ll learn:
- Myths about money and investing that hold people back and how to develop the mindset of a millionaire investor
- How to develop sound criteria for identifying great real estate investment opportunities
- How to zero in on the key terms of any transaction and achieve the best possible deals
- How to develop the “dream team” that will help you build your millionaire investment business
- Proven models and strategies millionaire investors use to track their net worth, understand their finances, build their network, lead generate for properties and acquire them
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor is about you and your money. It’s about your financial potential. It’s about discovering the millionaire investor in you.”
3. The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down by Brandon Turner
This is another great book by Mr. Brandon Turner. In this book, he goes into great detail on the ways someone can use creative financing to begin and continue their real estate investment career. Many people are stopped by the idea “I don’t have the money for that. I’ll never be able to invest!” If you are one of those people, I highly recommend you read/listen to this book and it will open your mind to all the opportunities that are out there!
“Is Your Lack of Cash Holding You Back From Your Real Estate Dreams? Don’t let the contents of your wallet define your future. Discover the real life strategies that smart investors are using in today’s market to invest in real estate with creativity! In The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down, active real estate investor and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast, Brandon Turner takes readers past the hype and dives into real life strategies that investors across the world are using to invest in real estate using creativity – instead of their own cash.
In This Book, You’ll Discover:
• The Truth About No Money Down Investing Investing with little to no money down is possible, but it’s not about some step by step strategy. It’s about a mindset.
• Numerous Strategies to Mix and Match Creative investing requires a creative mind, and this book will share numerous examples of creative deal-making.
• Attract Private Money, Lenders, and Partners There are millions of millionaires walking the streets. Discover the best way to attract them to you.
• The Ugly Side of Creative Investing Learn the downsides to all the strategies mentioned in this book, as well as tips for overcoming those problems.
• Get Started with No Money or Experience Looking for your first deal? Learn the best strategies for getting your feet wet without paying thousands!
• Wholesaling, Flipping, Rentals, and More! No matter what niche or strategy you plan to use to build your real estate empire, this book can help you proceed.
Who is This Book For? The Book Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down was written for anyone looking to get more mileage out of their real estate investment strategy. House flippers, landlords, wholesalers, note buyers, private lenders, and more can all benefit from the information provided. No matter what your skill level or experience in real estate has been, The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money down is for you. What’s Different About This Book? The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down is different because its not about “one right strategy.” Instead, the book is a collection of numerous different strategies to help you be able to handle whatever deal comes your way. We believe that The Book will not only help you navigate the world of creative real estate finance, but will help change your entire mindset in how you approach real estate investing in general. How Will This Book Help Me? No matter how much money you have in your checking account, there is always real estate you can’t afford. Even the most successful real estate investors use creativity to invest in real estate without using their own cash. This book will provide numerous strategies, tips, and ideas for leveraging other people’s money to help you do more deals.”
4. The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs by J. Scott
This book is GOLD in my opinion. One of the most daunting parts about starting in real estate investing is having no idea what things should cost to be repaired. It makes it difficult to know if you are offering too much and if a project is going to cost thousands more.
With this book, the anticipated cost range is outlined for you. J. Scott has volumes of experience from his career as a house flipper for the last 10 years. In this small, easy to reference book, J. Scott distills his knowledge into all of the categories for a house. This is a must read for any potential real estate investor!
“Are you a real estate investor still trying to figure out the complex process of creating a renovation plan and estimating rehab costs for your projects? The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs is written by active real estate fix-and-flipper J Scott, author of the popular real estate website 123Flip.com, and is published by BiggerPockets Publishing, the publishing arm of the premier real estate investing website BiggerPockets.com.
This 200+ page book provides a step-by-step methodology for learning how to create a Scope of Work (SOW) and how to estimate rehab costs on your renovation projects. Whether you’re a rehabber, a wholesaler or a landlord, this book will teach you the process of evaluating the scope of a rehab project and estimating the cost of completing that renovation. This is the methodology that the author has used to over the years to complete hundreds of rehabs, both for himself and for other investors.
From cosmetic renovations to mechanical installations and upgrades to complex renovation components such as mold, termites and foundation issues, you’ll learn how to break down your renovation into its major and minor components, learn the most common tasks associated with those renovation components, and learn how to accurately price each of the renovation tasks.”
5. The Book on Flipping Houses by J. Scott
This is another amazing book from J. Scott. In this easy to read book, Mr. Scott discussions the critical parts of operating a viable and successful house flipping business. From locating a potential deal, to estimating the rehab costs, making offers and getting it to sell – all the knowledge is here!
If you’re looking into getting started with house flipping, this book is a dream come true.
“Are you ready to leave the 9-5 and get started flipping houses? The Book on Flipping Houses is written by active real estate fix-and-flipper J Scott, author of the popular real estate website 123Flip.com, and is published by BiggerPockets Publishing, the publishing arm of the premier real estate investing website BiggerPockets.com.
This no-fluff book contains more than 350 pages of detailed, step-by-step training perfect for both the complete newbie or seasoned pro looking to build a killer house flipping business.”
Do you agree with our list? Which books would you add?
Did you like this article, consider checking out some of our others: